The First Aid app includes Everyday First Aid content developed by the British Red Cross based on the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) First Aid Guidelines. Each app contains more than 20 every-day first aid scenarios, including localized videos and illustrations adapted by Red Cross and Red Crescent national societies. In addition to information and instructions, the apps also include tests, quizzes and badges that users can share on social networks, such as Facebook.
The app further includes built in resource mobilization features, including a link for donations and highlighting partnerships. A major benefit of the program is that national societies may participate in the program at no cost to national society for app development, release or support.
How to get involved:
The GDPC serves as a single point of entry for national societies to develop their own localized version of the First Aid app. Once a national society expresses interest, the GDPC’s technical team guides participants through the process of app development—including translation, video production and content editing. The GDPC is working with a growing list of national societies to begin work on their own versions of the high-quality First Aid app which is available for iOS and Android.
For more information about the First Aid app from the Universal App Program please read the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
Benefits of participating in the program:
- Potential to reach thousands, if not millions, of users with a high quality app for iOS and Android
- Everyday First Aid content developed by the British Red Cross based on the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) First Aid Guidelines
- Easy to use interface, complete ownership of content by national society
- Built in resource mobilization features, including a link for donations and highlighting partnerships
- No cost to national society for app development, release or support
Responsibilities of partner national societies:
- Review, translation and adaptation of first aid app content, including text, images and videos
- Presentation of evidence to support clinical changes to first aid content
- Acceptance of program agreement and licensing terms
- Testing of app prior to release to ensure quality
- Authorization of public release
- Public marketing for the app
- Provides a cost-effective and efficient tool for Red Cross and Red Crescent societies around the world to launch their own First Aid app
- Web-based platform, easy-to-use interface
- Offered on a no-cost/pay-what-you can basis to interested national societies
- GDPC will serve as single point-of-entry for national societies
- Red Cross and Red Crescent Global First Aid Centre will perform technical reviews of all content changes to the app to ensure adherence to global first aid standards