Drones and Happenings of Disaster
Drones are increasingly used in the aftermath of disasters, natural or otherwise.
This resource gathers a list of applications which some may find useful. It is not comprehensive but gives a drift of what is happening on the globe.
Uses of drones for disaster management include:
- Damage assessment:… Drones may be used to evaluate a disaster damaged area. Their use enables a quick response and a relatively safe one.
- Defibrillator:.. two kinds of defibrillator drone may be mentioned, namely: 1) a drone which is a defibrillator and 2) a drone which carries a payload defibrillator
- Food :…. a drone is comprised of many parts and in one emergency application, some parts of a drone are eatable. The drone is flown to the place of need and about 80 persons can be fed for one day
- Lifesaving equipment:… some sea and beaches, and rivers are covered by rescuers who have drones which are used to find a person in the water. In some instances, they are used to deliver a buoyancy aid (life-belt?).
- Mapping 1: ... drones may be used to map areas after a disaster, eg to identify a route into the area, etc.
Mapping 2;… Although satellite are drone-like some may not regard them as drones. However, they are used to map disaster areas from space.Medical supplies: … medical and other humanitarian supplies are being carried by drone in Africa.
- Search and rescue: … drones are used in earthquake or other disasters to search areas quickly for survivors
- Shelter: … a drone is flown to an emergency where shelter and facilities are needed. The drone is dismantled and parts provide accommodation, cupboard etc.