Who are you?
Social Media for Behaviour Change (SM4BC) Toolkit
We mean many different types of digital platforms, essentially websites and apps that connect people to each other, allowing them to easily share and interact around ideas, information and content they create.
The toolkit is designed as a flowchart to lead you through the key questions that need to be answered in order to be successful in using social media for behaviour change.
How to use the SM4BC Toolkit?
The content and examples in the toolkit are geared towards those working in the areas of disaster preparedness and disaster risk reduction, with a special focus on issues related to the Latin America and Caribbean region. However, the core concepts are applicable across the board, no matter what type of behaviour change you are working towards or where in the world you happen to be.
UNDERSTANDING THE STEPS
What is your organization trying to accomplish on social media
Get specific about the problem to be addressed
Identifying your priority audiences and tailor your outreach
Clearly defining the behaviour to be promoted via social media
Design your messaging and approach to increase the chances of success
Each message you post should have a reason behind it.
Match the style and type of content audiences want to see on specific channels
Create a set of policies that will guide your social media activity.
Measure your success by the outcomes according to your original objectives.
Each section includes an online fillable worksheets.
1A What is your Organization’s Mission?
1B Are you currently using social media?
1C How does social media fit into your organization’s communication strategy?
1D How are you currently coordinating communications with stakeholders/partners?
1E How effective is your current social media approach?
1F What is your organization’s capacity for social media activities?
What do you want to accomplish?
- 2A What is the problem you want to address?
- 2B What are the factors that contribute to the problem?
- 2C Which factors are changeable via SM4BC?
- 2D What are your social media objectives?
Who do you need to reach?
- 3A Whose behaviours need to change?
- 3B What can you learn about your priority audience(s)?
- 3C Who are the people who most influence your priority audience?
- 3D What are they doing and saying online?
What do you want them to do?
- 4A What behaviours will help meet your objectives?
- 4B How will you choose which behaviours to prioritize?
- 4C How will you design the behaviour to maximize change?
What can you do to help their behaviour change?
- 5A What can we do to influence their behaviour?
- 5B What are their main barriers to adopting the behaviour?
- 5C What are their main motivators to adopting the behaviour?
- 5D What are the social factors that influence adopting the behaviour?
- 5E What are the windows of opportunity to cue the behaviour?
What will your messages say?
- 6A What is the purpose of this message?
- 6B How will you match the message to the behavioural levers?
- 6C How will you make the message memorable?
- 6D How will you make the message actionable?
- 6E How will you construct your post?
How will you create your content for your posts?
- 7A Which social networks will you use?
- 7B Will you create text-based posts?
- 7C Will you create graphics?
- 7D Will you create video or audio content?
- 7E How will you make the post accessible to all?
- 7F Is the content ethically and culturally appropriate?
How will you engage your community?
- 8A What guidelines and policies will you use to guide your activities?
- 8B How will you monitor audience needs and emerging trends?
- 8C How will you engage with your audience on social media?
- 8D How will you tailor and deliver content to specific audiences?
- 8E How will you track community engagement?
- 8F How will you use data to continually refine your approach?
How will you know if you're successful?
- 9A What metrics will you use to assess success?
- 9B How will you connect your activities to behaviour change?
- 9C How will you carry out your evaluation research?
- 9D How will you use the results to improve your efforts?