This module is for those that want to present data to others in compelling and convincing ways. It answers the question: How can I visualise data? Along with:
- What makes a good data visualization?
- How do I get started?
A suggested step by step process to achieve learning objectives.
- Start with the Data Visualisation Gallery [Exercise 6] to get visuals in front of people and start building critical thinking skills.
- If people have little experience, Use the Data Viz Intro [SlideDeck 11].
- Run through Building a Data Visualisation [SlideDeck 12] to deepen understanding of visualisation elements and how to use them.
- Have participants do a Data Viz Drawing [Exercise 7] to give them some hands-on experience in creating a visualization.
- Finish by asking participants to help generate a list of helpful data visualization resources.
Pick and choose ingredients to create your own recipe. Do you have an ingredient we’re missing? Send an email to email@example.com.
Short, discrete social learning experiences
- Data Visualisation Gallery [Exercise 6]. A great intro that gets particpants interacting with data visualisations and helps build their critical thinking skills.
Data Viz Drawing [Exercise 7]. Participants build a data visualization from an existing data narrative.
Distilled information for use as standalone or parts of presentations.
- Data Viz Intro [SlideDeck 11]. Demystifies data visualisations and info-graphics.
- Building a Data Visualisation [SlideDeck 12]. Explains the steps and different methods and styles to be utilsed in putting a data visualization together.
To be distributed to participants for use post-training
- FAQs on Data Visualisations [Handout 5].
- Data Visualisation Examples [Handout 6]. A collection of data visualisations to be printed on A3 for use in the Data Visualisation Gallery [Exercise 7] and other data visualization sessions.
Other relevant modules from the data playbook beta:
- What are the Data Essentials I need to know? [Module 1]
Further reading resources:
- Map Action. Maps, data and tools used by GIS and information management officers during a humanitarian response.
Download the module description (PDF) or download all the resources contained in this module here.