Many projects at IFRC have a data component. The purpose of this module is to guide users to think about all the steps in a whole data project rather than their respective field or sector. This module aims to answer the question: How might we build and implement a ‘Data-Driven Project’? It also addresses:
- How can we map our data ecosystem and workflow?
- What are data and technology questions we should be asking?
A suggested step by step process to achieve learning objectives.
- Use Put Data Project Items in Order [Exercise 2] to engage participants in the complexities of a data-driven project.
- What are the roles needed to support each step of the workflow? [Exercise 3] can help participants understand the ecosystem of roles needed to implement their data-driven project.
- The Data Simulation [SessionPlan 3] ‘simulates’ data workflows for various topics.
- Break people into pairs or groups of threes to fill out the Data and Technology Checklists [Checklist 1] for their data-driven projects.
- In a group discussion, ask participants to synthesise what they’ve learned by compiling a list of data-driven project best practices.
Pick and choose ingredients to create your own recipe. Do you have an ingredient we’re missing? Send an email to email@example.com.
Short, discrete social learning experiences
- Put in Order: Data Project Workflow Steps [Exercise 2]. Participants the complexities from the beginning to end of a data-driven project
- What are the roles needed to support a data workflow? [Exercise 3] Participants map out the ecosystem of roles needed to implement a data-driven project.
Longer social learning experiences
- Data Simulation [SessionPlan 3]. Participants ‘simulate’ data workflows for various topics.
Distilled information for use as standalone or parts of presentations.
- Why Data Matters [SlideDeck 4]. Provides context for data use and its importance within IFRC
- Data and Information Management Basics [SlideDeck 9].Provides context for building data-driven projects and information on data related roles at IFRC.
For documentation of essential elements of the learning experience
- Data and Technology Checklist [Checklist 1]. A worksheet for developing an efficient, legitimate and responsible workflow in software projects.
Other relevant modules from the data playbook beta:
- How can we protect and use data responsibly? [Module 4]